Hydration Stations Help Reduce Reuse Recycle Concept
Recycling is an important part of WSU's sustainability efforts but certainly not the only one. A central concept of campus sustainability is thinking about other aspects of waste reduction, such as reduction of consumption and reuse of items. These actions do not require a major change in lifestyle and there are simple steps that everyone can take in their day to day lives in order to support those efforts. For example, think about plastic water bottles that get used every day, but could be recycled, or even better-not purchased in the first place. Refillable water bottles are a good way to keep plastics out of landfills. Americans use 2,500,000 plastic bottles every hour, most of which are thrown away. To reduce water bottle waste, Wayne State installed Hydration Station Water fountains all over campus, where reusable water bottles can be filled up with convenience.
The Hydration Station uses sensor technology to fill your water bottle which is filled in a few seconds. No longer do you have to tilt or contort your water bottle to get only half of it filled. Not only are these new water stations convenient but they are also sustainable. They facilitate the use of one's own water bottle instead of buying a disposable water container which adds to the waste stream. The Hydration Station even has a digital read out showing just how many water bottles have avoided going to landfills by using a reusable water container. In fact, Wayne State already saved over 2.5 million water bottles since the installation of the fountations.
Hygration Stations can be found all over campus with more to come.
If you have questions regarding the Hydration Station, please contact the Office of Campus Sustainability at (313) 577-5068
DID YOU KNOW?
- Bottled water costs more than $1.50 per bottle; that is 1,900 times the price of tap water.
- An average American spends $400.00 a year on bottled water.
- Health can be damaged by toxic chemicals like Bisphenol-A (BPA), leached from bottled water. (BPA intake can cause cancerous cells in your body)
- The amount of oil used to make the plastic for water bottles is enough oil to fuel 100,000 cars for a year.
- Leave water bottles in the car? The heat in a car and the plastic of the bottle can leach out chemicals that lead to Breast and other types of Cancers.
Keep your wallet and the planet green and use a reusable, BPA free water bottle!